Jennifer Garner wrote:

>      PS.  I just read a note on the list about melatonin being used to help  sleeplessness in PD patients.  My father's neurologist recommended
against using it until there were more studies done on it.  Has anyone
heard the same, or are any PD patients out there currently using it?

Jennifer,
There is much discussion for and against use of melatonin. The problems
I feel are noteworthy are:
1) There is no kind of standardization or safety control in the
production of melatonin. Each company may manufacture it according to
its own policies and standards of safety, cleanliness, etc.
2) Parkinson's is a complex disease, with many unknown factors. Adding
an additional unknown, in the form of a hormone, may be unwise,
particularly in light of your father's operation.

Best regards,
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-chief, "Spotlight on Food--nutrition news for people 60-plus"
http://www.fortnet.org/~fivstar