Perhaps I should be replying only to those persons who asked about
"curling toes," but since many more people may be interested, I will risk
replying to the entire list.

I believe this problem is really a dystonia, one of the sub-afflictions of
PD.  I have read that it can occur as a result of levodopa excess ("peak
dose dystonia) OR when levodopa is at a low level ("off period dystonia),
such as during an "off" period or just before a new dose is needed. For
the former, treatment may consist in reducing each dose of Sinemet, with
or without adding a dopamine agonist to compensate for the lesser amount
of Sinemet.  For the latter, various changes in medications (e.g.,
Sinemet-CR) may be needed to smooth out the therapeutic response to
Sinemet.

It is not clear to me that hammer toes result from this toe-curling
dystonia, but I could be wrong.  The person who referred to thickened toe
nails in the context of hammer toes was probably talking about toe nail
fungus, not hammer toes.

Hope this helps.

Ken Goodrich, Caregiver
Columbus, Ohio