On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Nancy Perry wrote:

> I'm new to both the internet and Parkinson's.  We just found out my 64
> year old husband has Parkinson's.  His Rheumathologist had been treating
> him for over a year for "arthritis of the spine"--that being her reasoning
> that he couldn't stand up straight.  He started shuffling his feet and
> not being able to dress himself when our family Dr. decided to run some
> other tests.  Then we were told he was just having strokes and there
> wasn't anything we could do.  This man is my life...I just couldn't be
> satisfied with that answer...so I insisted he refer us to a nuerologist.
> This Dr. immediately told us he had Parkinson's.  He started him on
> Sinnet (hope I spelled that right) and in 4 days we saw such a big improve-
> ment.  Now he is on ep....(lost that one) and is doing really well.
>         He can dress himself now, drive ok (we were having *big* problems
> with his driving..., walking is improved, and he is beginning to swing his
> arms again.  He's up to walking 2 miles a day.  Hopefully we are on the
> right track now.
>         I would appreciate any hint, helps, etc. in ways to help him.
> Our main problem at this time is constipation..(nothing's sacred anymore,
> is it? ha. Ha..., but it is our big problem.
>         I am really happy that I have found someone to talk with.  We
> new nothing of the disease until we were told that is what he has.  I
> have Lupus and Fibromaylgia, so we need any kind of hints that can ease
> my problems with him.
>
> Thanks and God Bless.
> Nancy

My husband has had severe problems with constipation.  We were told that
Dr. Parkinson first described the illness bearing his name, based on the
constipation.

He never has taken enough liquids, but we are on a 3 to 4 day schedule
that seems to be working:  First day, stool softner (Colace), second day
stool softner with some laxative (Pericolace), third day laxative
(Dulcolax).  These are taken in the evening and the Dulcolax usually
produces a bowel movement the next morning.  If not, the Dulcolax is
repeated and that seems to work.  This regime was started after a hernia
repair, and in consultation with the doctors.

Of course, I push fruits, fruit juices, etc. when possible (green things
are anathema (spelling?).

Miriam L. Denham