Nigel wrote:

>I noticed that dairy products seemed to cause most difficulty - milk seems to
>cause the PD symptoms to appear very rapidly - it seems to be something more
>than an interference with absorption of sinemet into the blood stream.  I have
>found that I do not get the same problem if I drink soya milk even though,
>according to the label, soya milk has more protein than cows milk.  I have also
>tried eating Roquefort cheese which is made from sheeps milk and this does not
>appear to affect the action of sinemet.

Dairy products stop me dead, soya isn't as dramatic, although I am wondering
about that also. I'm beginning to think that soya consumption may be the
culprit in my recent uneven response problems.

The other side of the coin is that I am protein-starved most of the time
now, and old goblins like restless leg are reappearing in force. Most of the
vegetable-source protein supplements are soy based. I haven't tried goat
cheese, assuming that the fact that it is a dairy protein would result in
the same horrific reaction.

Today I bought spirulina, which is a mystery to me, never used it before. It
is a vegetable protein source, and seems have other "wonderful" qualities.
Will let you know if the first batch I choke down kills me for good.

Also, on the L-tyrosine thread, although it is part of the chemical reaction
that results in dopamine in the brain, supplementing it doesn't seem to
contribute to the process. However, health food store literature indicates
it can be therapeutic for depression, and I use it for that. There are a
couple others in my Young Onset group who have had favorable reports
concerning L-tyrosine and depression, and even my mom (non-parky) had good
results.

On another note, a young man (38) was sent my way for our YO group last
week; he was diagnosed with something called "white-cell" PD, which he says
is genetic and effects mostly the heart valve. His dad and uncle (brothers)
both died of it. I have never heard of such a thing...any input from this
team of experts? He is so newly diagnosed and confused he may have some
details mixed up, btu this is what he says they call it.

Always hoping,

Kathie Tollifson