NIGEL COCKLE <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
<<<<Like a number of others on this list, I have found that protein seriously
interferes with the action of Sinemet. I have got around this by avoiding
protein during the day and having a more normal meal late at night.

I noticed that dairy products seemed to cause most difficulty - milk seems to
cause the PD symptoms to appear very rapidly - it seems to be something more
than an interference with absorption of sinemet into the blood stream.  I have
found that I do not get the same problem if I drink soya milk even though,
according to the label, soya milk has more protein than cows milk.  I have also
tried eating Roquefort cheese which is made from sheeps milk and this does not
appear to affect the action of sinemet.

Am I alone in having these difficulties in digesting cow's milk or is this a
common problem?

Nigel Cockle  51/12>>>>>>>

There is discussion about this quite often - and about human, adults
especially, using cow's milk.

I have "inherited" some dislike of milk from my mother (before she forgot
she did not eat any other than ice cream due to Alzheimer's).  I like ice
cream and frozen yogurt but do not drink or usemilk with cereal for many
years.  The yogurt seems less counter to levodopa.

The optimum food for calves is not likely the optimum for animals without
four stomachs and enzymatic digestion of grasses, et cetera.

Perhaps learned enzymes changes/adjustment in babyhood makes milk
digestible.  Perhaps the residual hormones and enzymes in cow's milk is
somehow detrimental to the digestive "mechanisms" of our stomach such that
most/more of the levodopa is digestively destroyed.  this is before
entering the bloodstream where the carbidopa retards conversion to
dopamine.

I retrieved the following from somewhere on the net:

<<<<<<<<L-Dopa (Larodopa) and l-dopa/carbidopa (Sinemet)
In order to replenish dopamine in the striatum, the precursor l-dopa must
be given because dopamine itself does not cross the blood brain barrier.
Only about 1% of l-dopa reaches the CNS where it is taken up by both
dopaminergic and noradrenergic neurons. In the former, it is converted by
l-amino acid decarboxylase to dopamine, which, in the striatum, serves to
restore dopaminergic activity and alleviate the symptoms of PD. Uptake into
other dopaminergic neurons and noradrenergic neurons is responsible for
some of the CNS toxicity and side effects of the drug discussed below.
The other 99% of a dose of l-dopa can be accounted for by conversion to
dopamine in the GI tract before absorption (ca. 70%), and uptake into the
terminals of sympathetic neurons, where it is converted to norepinephrine.
Peripheral dopaminergic and noradrenergic actions also contribute to the
side effects and toxicity of the drug, particularly on the cardiovascular
system. Fate of systemic l-dopa.
A reduction in the dose of l-dopa, increased efficacy, diminished side
effects and quicker stabilization can be achieved with the addition of
carbidopa to l-dopa (i.e., Synamet). Carbidopa is an l-amino acid
decarboxylase inhibitor which does not cross the blood brain barrier.
Consequently, peripheral conversion to dopamine (and norepinephrine) is
inhibited without affecting the conversion in the CNS. This combination
therapy has become the mainstay in the treatment of PD.>>>>>>>

Perhaps one of our experts in pharmacy or biology can validate the 70%
conversion loss of levodopa?  Perhaps some blood plasma absorption data
with and without milk or product hasbeen done?  SHOULD be done?

Another thought is that tyrosine plentifulness may be involved.  Maybe the
milkcomponents fill up all the transporter molecules that take large amino
acids into the blood.

ron      1936, dz PD 1984
Ronald F. Vetter <[log in to unmask]>
http://www1.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/