Greetings to all,

I've been observing on the list for some time and have found the exchange of
information and encouragement to be helpful and uplifting. Since I haven't
introduced myself to the group, I wanted to do so.

I am 55 and was diagnosed with PD about 18 years ago. The dx came after a
bout with a serious and lengthy upper respiratory infection. At the same time
I had to take a disability retirement. My doctor suggested we move from the
cold north (Ohio) to the warmth of Florida. We did this, although
reluctantly. Our roots were pretty deep.

A few years after moving to Florida, I joined a HMO. Overall, my experience
has been pretty good. One of the problems though has been having to use the
HMO neurologists. Not only have they changed too often, some are not all that
familiar with PD. The best of the lot placed me on Sinemet CR and took me off
eldepryl. She was thorough, caring and knowledgeable. Unfortunately, she
relocated to another state.

My next neuro was also good. But an older doctor who retired within a year or
so.

After that, and for the last three or four years, The neuro I've gone to has
been less than satisfactory. He never examined me, in any way. All of the
visits with him consisted of chatting in his office for a few minutes and he
suggesting some change of medication doseage. Because of my disatisfaction
and because I managed "well enough" without seeing him, I went for two years
without seeing any neurologist.

Several months ago, I noticed my movement seemed to be getting slower, the
tremor in my left hand/arm was worse and tremor was becoming more prominent
in my right hand. I also had an occasional shaking of my head. Reluctantly, I
made an appointment and went to see the neurologist. Another chat, increase
Sinemet CR doseage, and he started me on ZOLOFT for depression. The Zoloft
seems to have made me "feel better about feeling so bad, so much of the
time". My mood is probably better. Not much difference otherwise.

I was not satisfied with this neurologist, and after expressing this to my
primary care physician, again, he agreed to send me to a new neuro. My first
appointment was yesterday (Wednesday). He seems to be quite knowledgeable
about and has a special interest in movement disorders. He did a thorough and
extensive exam, answered questions and took the time to become acquainted
with me and my case. (He seems to be an answer to the prayers of my wife and
I.)

Now, having said all that, I have a question. My new neuro wants to continue
all of the present meds, including Zoloft, and add Permax. What experience
have any of you had with Zoloft? Permax? Any comments and/or suggestions
shall be appreciated.

Thanks for being here and for taking the time to "listen". In the future, I
will make a greater attempt at brevity.

SOON!
Gaylon
 ***Originally from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia...
                     to the Florida Suncoast.....by way of central Ohio.***