At 08:45 AM 5/4/96 -0400, Lisa Carper wrote:
>I agree with you (John); that message I referred to originally does sound
>like a late night infomercial. I did some further checking and found a
>webpage at: http://ceri.com
>I'm not exactly sure what to make of it. I can't tell if it's a research
>effort, a think-tank or a modified Life Extension Foundation. I hope many of
>you will check out this website and post your thoughts, insights, etc. Any
>of our group in Mexico that might have knowledge about the manufacturer of
>the 'Liquid Deprenyl Citrate'; please tell us if you know anything about
>this or if there is any way to verify anything on the liquid Deprenyl. I
>would remain dubious unless I could obtain an independent labs' analysis on
>the exact contents of the liquid deprenyl coming from Mexico.
>Waiting to hear from everyone...
>Lisa Carper
>--

Lisa:

As a Chem. Engr., I would also advise anyone out there to be very careful
regarding any product manufactured by a "kitchen chemist" or by any facility
that is not regulated by a reputable organization.  The synthesis of higher
molecular weight organic molecules and the purification of those products is
a very complicated process and it's quite easy to make mistakes along the way.

I have been involved in the installation of process control equipment at
several legitimate drug producers (major US/UK pharmaceutical companies).
Most recently at a site that manufactures Vitamin E (dl-alpha tocopherl
acetate) in USA.  This particular site was producing Vit. E for use in
animal feed and they were in the process of upgrading their manufacturing
facility to produce FDA approved (for human consumption) material.  I can
say that there are many additional requirements for FDA validation of a
manufacturing process that are in place to help insure that the same
material is produced with each batch (you may notice lot codes on FDA
products) and to reduce the probability of contamination.

Note that this validation procedure is also one of the most common reasons
that US pharmaceutical companies are moving production out of the US and
relocating in countries with little or no regulation.  They claim that this
is due to the high costs of FDA validation.  Also, please note that my
personal opinion of the FDA regarding the review and approval of new drugs
for human consumption is, for legal reasons, not for "public consumption".
I can say it is not a positive opinion.  However, I have a great deal of
respect for the FDA regarding their attempts to establish good manufacturing
procedures.

Stephen Duff

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a
profound truth may well be another profound truth."

     - Niels Bohr (1885-1962)

FDA please don't put me away :)-