Hello to our friends across the "pond"

The discussion on the allocating of scarce resources between welfare (care
for those currently afflicted) and research (finding a cure) is a very timely
subject.  Not long after I joined this network someone from the UK  wrote a
long pros and cons paper on this network.  There were a few comments and the
subject fell by the wayside.  We on this side of the "pond" need to think
about this.  My educational background is Econometrics and I know this
problem has been mathamatically modeled with many assumptions.  Chosing 50%
for both shows recognizion of the importance of both welfare and research.
 What it doesn't show is much more.  Today we are a world community.  Your
decisions have an impact on us.  I have slowed my consumption of beef just
because of the situation in the UK.  So please openly discuss the R v. W
issue.  It will make us all think rationally about health care.

Regards,
Alan Bonander