Hello Donna,

No one likes to see a divorce much less participate in one.  I can't and
won't comment on the possible reasons for divorce.  I will paint a very dark
picture in hopes to shock you into reality. I realize you are hurting much or
you would not have opened up your heart to us as you did.

Chronic illness causes many changes in family dynamics.  The two of the most
severe adverse reactions are suicide and divorce.  Neither need be fatal if
caught early enough.  My advise is to seek counseling at your church, medical
facility, where ever.  It is not good enough for just one of you to attend,
you both need to seek counseling.  At the same time you should be talking to
a lawyer.   This should not be the same lawyer as your husband uses.  I would
suggest a female lawyer as she may better see your side.   There are many
issues in divorce, but some of the issues I've seen faced by young mothers
with PD are real shockers.  (1) If you have raised the family while your
husband has provided the income (a) you will lose access to his health
insurance (b) you may not have worked sufficient quarters and at proper level
to get social security benefits (c) because of your PD and other
considerations he may have you declared as incompetent to raise your
children, assuming there still are minors.  (2) I think that is enough to set
your wheels in motion.

I know a lady in the southeastern part of the US who recently went through
what you are facing.  I will send her name and phone number to you on private
Email.

Above all, remember to hold your head high.  Your are an important,
worthwhile person. Your rights are at least equal to his.  I hope counseling
can resolve the issues.  I would still talk to a lawyer, if for no other
reason than to build your confidence in yourself.

Regards,
Alan Bonander

PSS: For those of you who think I may kicking Donna when she is down. The
issues are big and the consequences can be enormous.  This is not the time to
be passive; you can still show compassion, but don't be passive