Brookhaven National Labs. has published many studies on the effects of
methylphenidate (Ritalin) and cocaine on the brains:

Volkow et al, Is methylphenidate like cocaine?  Studies on their
pharmacokinetics and distribution in the human brain.  Arch. Gen Psychiatry
1995 Jun;52(6):456-63

The studies showed that although cocaine does bind to dopamine receptors in
the basal ganglia, similarly to methylphenidate, cocaine's clearance from the
brain was over 3 times faster (20 min. versus 90 min).  Also, there are two
stereoisomers of methylphenidate present in commercial Ritalin and generic
methylphenidate.  The R-isomer has been shown to stimulate dopamine in the
frontal lobes and to inhibit the reuptake of norephinephrine.  The L-isomer is
believed to cause a "high."  When the 50:50 isomer mixture (racemic
methylphenidate) is taken orally, most of the L isomer converts to the
D-isomer in the gut.  Abusers need to snort racemic methylphenidate in order
to get a high from the commercial product.

Does anyone know if methylphenidate has any effect on PD symptoms?  I am not
aware of any such study.  Also, I am very interested to known if anybody in
the network has been diagnosed with both ADHD and PD.

Fiona Geiser ([log in to unmask])

(By the way, I have a Ph.D. in organic chemistry and  I have also been
diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).  I am curious
about the similarities of PD and ADHD medications.  For instance, the active
metabolite in selegiline is D-amphetamine.  D-amphetamine is prescribed as an
alternative stiumulant for use in ADHD.  Interesting connection.  Neuroimaging
studies have shown the cocaine abusers deplete dopamine neurons in the basal
ganglia over time.)