From:   Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf of Zippo
Bilbrok 3.0e8
Sent:   Sunday, May 05, 1996 8:39 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        DRUG ALERT

For your information:  I recently had a 62 year old patient who required
a drug to relieve hyperacidity.  Her doctor wrote an order for Zantac.
The medication that was sent from the pharmacy was Tagamet.

Positive that the pharmacy had sent the wrong medication, I called and
informed them that they had made a mistake and requested that they send
the proper perscription.  The pharmacist I spoke with told me that *the
hospital administration* had decided that all drugs in this class were
the same, and had mandated that the *cheapest*in the class be provided
for administration, unless the doctor  requested otherwise.

What does this mean for PD patients, and others with neuropathology?  It
is known that Tagamet can causes neurological symptoms.  Patients with PD
*may* find that they have an increase in symptoms while on this drug.

Please be aware that you have a right to insist that you receive the
medication your doctor orders, instead of the medication an HMO or
hospital feels will save money for their companies. Particularly in the
area of drugs that relieve hyperacidity, do not accept the information
that all of the drugs in this class are the same - they are not.
-----
Peace and joy
Mary Ann