> I've been taking
> Tagamet for the past several weeks at bedtime (for reflux) and while the
> painful condition is then cleared up enough for me to sleep,

To the group:
This may seem off subject, especially coming from a registered
dietitian; but most (probably 90%) of my clients are suffering from
stress in some area of their lives. Frequently a client comes to me for
a low-sodium diet ordered by the doctor, and I learn that their high
blood pressure/reflux/congestive heart failure/etc. began ONLY following
a stressful event, such as having to put a loved one in a nursing home.
As my clientele is mostly people 60-plus, stress is a factor I must deal
with in order to give real assistance.

Though I don't neglect menu changes, I always recommend looking for ways
to relieve the stress as well. Two areas that have frequently proven
successful are biofeedback, and acupuncture/acupressure. Both have
become fairly widely accepted by insurance companies as well as the
medical profession.

It's my belief that if we can control arthritis pain, reflux, stress, or
other conditions WITHOUT the use of drugs, we are ahead of the game. se
PD relies on the use of several drugs, but some other conditions, such
as reflux, may not--at least not for everyone. I think it's worth trying
to eliminate other medications for other conditions when possible.

May I suggest you consider the possibility that PD can be a stress
factor, and possibly at the root of conditions such as reflux; and look
for an acceptable way to relieve the stress? There are many forms of
alternative medicine, and I believe some PD conditions could benefit
from their use.

My best regards,
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD