NIGEL COCKLE wrote:

>  I have had PD for around 12 years and have reached the point where I am
> very dependent on l-dopa. It is only in the last year or so that milk has caused a severe problem,> At best, it seems to take about 40 minutes
before a dose of sinemet becomes effective  - I assume that this is the
time taken for the drug to pass the > various barriers between gut and
brain. However, cows milk can bring on an 'off' period more quickly than
this leading me to think that something in the milk has a more direct
action on the brain. Strangely, cheese made with sheep's milk does
> not produce the same reaction. Perhaps I should experiment with goats milk!

Nigel,
I assume you are aware that you own levels of dopamine may be
diminishing, causing you to rely more and more on sinemet. And that the
protein in the dairy foods requires the same "carrier" from the blood to
the brain that sinemet does. This means that the protein competes with
the sinemet for carriers to get to the brain. If too much protein binds
up the carriers, the L-dopa gets shut out, causing the "off" phase.

Some of my clients are unaware that they can control this somewhat by
distributing their protein intake throughout the day. Have you tried
taking sinemet 45-60 minutes before eating? This gives it a chance to
make it to the brain before the competing protein arrives. I've also
found that not everyone is aware of the "7 to 1" plan. It involves a
ratio of 7 parts carbohydrate to 1 part protein, and distributes the
protein throughout the day.

Though these measures don't necessarily work for everyone, they could be
worth a try. Especially since you have narrowed it down to milk. It
would be fairly simple to redistribute your milk intake. A registered
dietitian can help you plan meals and snacks that prevent nutrient
deficiencies; and can help you experiment to find a ratio that's right
for you: 7:1, 5:1, 9:1, whatever.

I hope this helps. Best regards,
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD