Hello, Brian Collins
On 2 May 1996 you wrote:

>  I believe that places me right in the middle of one of the most
>serious and long-running debates within our society - Whether our
>hard-earned money should be spent on research to find a cure, or
>used to bring comfort and care to the many sufferers of PD. Our
>constitution requires us to give equal weight to both aspects
>which I consider to be the right balance, but many disagree with
>me. Is it a subject of discussion within this group ?

Your question is posed most appropriately at a time when much effort is
being expanded in trying to convince our elected political leaders to pass
legislation that would increase federal funding for PD research. Beginning
today, 6 May 1996, many of our group members are in Washington, DC calling
on members of Congress and Senate to demand their attention to this most
important issue. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go, but I have been busy
calling and writing. I believe that society has a responsibility to care for
its members -- regardless of their age or condition. Earmarking funds for
research is  part of that 'care' for future generations. This cannot be an
'either', 'or' issue!

>  Another subject of importance to me is the use of Levadopa in PD.
>I have been taking levodopa for over 13 years, and like most people
>have found it more and more difficult to get the dosage right. To
>help me understand the effects of the various tablets and dosages,
>I have written a computer program which attempts to evaluate these
>characteristics amd in effect produce a model of myself and the
>tablets. Having one that I was able to use the program to define
>a regime of tablets which I believe has added at least 2 to 3 years
>onto my "effective" life. I would be happy to discuss this in more
>detail as I think it could help other people beside myself.>

I would be most interested in learning about your method of calibrating
dosages to suit your needs via a computer program.  My quest of
extending/increasing the "on" periods even by minutes or hours(!) is always
present and seldom attained. So, please do share your knowledge.

Best Regards,
Margaret Tuchman (54 yrs, dx 1980. 9x25/100 sinemet, 5x.25mg. permax)