     Hello!

     My name is Jennifer.  My father, now age 51, was diagnosed with
     Parkinson's disease about 10 years ago.  Needless to say it was a
     shock to our family.  He seemed too young.

     Last year my father's medications began to be less effective and he
     decided that he would have to start contemplating retirement.  He works
     in a professional office, Monday through Friday, 9-5.  He talked to his
     neurologist about his situation and she suggested that he consider
     having a Pallidotomy.  Up to this time, although my mother encouraged
     it, Dad was dead set against anyone opening up his brain unless it was
     a matter of life or death.

     He took home a videotape of the operation.  After my mom and dad
     watched the tape, they decided that maybe the neurologist was right.
     They talked more about it with the doctor and decided to apply for the
     surgery.  The doctor gave them a few names of reputable doctors that
     currently performed the operation.  They decided upon Dr. Leitner
     (sorry if misspelled) in Sweden.  My dad had the operation last
     November, 1995.  He had the operation on one side of his head.  He may
     good.

     Since he has been back home he has progressively felt good results
     from the operation.  His medication has been cut back because some of
     his symptoms have lessened, and he is in good spirits.  He continues
     to work at his job and is active in other ways.  He tries to walk
     daily, mows the lawn in the summer, shovels snow in the winter, etc.

     I was very excited to find this list the other day.  I have been
     looking for a list on Parkinson's for a long time.  I hope some of the
     information above helps some that are going to have the Pallidotomy.

     Talk to you all later,

     Jennifer (from Northern Virginia)

     PS.  I just read a note on the list about melatonin being used to help
     sleeplessness in PD patients.  My father's neurologist recommended against
     using it until there were more studies done on it.  Has anyone heard the
     same, or are any PD patients out there currently using it?