Hi,
   I am new to this list.  I am writing on behalf of my mother in-law. She
is 71 and was diagnosed with PD about 10 years ago.  Since that time she has
been through all kinds of tests ( including the pain clinic) and they have
really not been able to get to the bottom of what was really wrong. (This is
what I think.  The vigorous tremor that she has is caused by the pain in her
left leg.)They diagnosed PD and started her with all the medications for
this particular disease.  There are however two problems(1) She has a lot of
pain in her left leg(this was there before PD ), (2) she needs twice the
amout of medication any ordinary person would take in order to get the same
effect.  Because of this she is taking 6-8 Sinemet per day plus a pile of
other drugs.  All this medication has such a huge side effect on her.  She
does not speak, lots of flem in the mouth and a variety of other side
effects. The only thing they come up with is to hospitalize her from time to
time and mess with the medication.
   She does not travel because she can not handle a trip. She can not handle
going out for a meal.  If she does, she suffers for hours after.
  I picked up the newspaper the other day and read about a gentleman who had
PD who had had surgery in Toronto.  They drilled a hole in his head and
connected
electrodes to the affected area in the brain.  A little transmitter was
placed on
his body which he can control.  His tremor was healed. This sounds great!  Where
and how could something like this be accomplished.  Looking for answers.
Richard Krahn
Parkland Elementary(Gr.5&6)
143 Linden Drive
Winkler, Manitoba, Canada