At 13:48 5/2/96 -0400, Dan Murray wrote:

>I just had a very unsatisfying discussion regarding the Udall Bill
> with Richard Ford of Sen. Pat Moynihan's office.  FYI - Moynihan is
> undeclared on the bill.
>     >>>>>>> snip >>>>>>>> snip >>>>>> snip

>Maybe we should try someone else as well... like Nancy Kassebaum

        MY REPLY::::

        On March 19 I received a call, in response to a letter to
        Sen. Nancy Kassebaum, from Dr. Kent Bradley. He is supposedly
        an advisor to Sen. Kassebaum on health related issues.

        He explained that Sen. Kassebaum did not choose to be a sponsor
        to bills that were in her committee since that would appear to
        indicate that she favored passage of that bill. What I took this
        to mean was that her association with any bill would swing some
        votes favorable to her position with the bill.

        I indicated that my primary concern was that funding for medical
        purposes should be spent in a manner which represented somewhat
        even distribution based on the populace subjected to the particular
        disease. In other words, if funding for finding a cure for cancer was
        set at about $100 per individual so afflicted then we should spend
        not less than $100 per individual for those afflicted with PD, heart
        disease or AIDS. However, if it could be shown that spending
        proportionately more in a given area to find a cure would benefit
        others with serious afflictions then a judgement should be made to
        determine the population affected and proceed if reasonable
        judgements would support such actions.

        Dr. Bradley also explained that Sen. Kassebaum believed that NIH
        and other qualified organizations should be responsible for
        determining the distribution of funds and not the Senate or
        Congress.  Apparently she believes that the oversight of NIH
        should be from the Administrators of NIH.

        I am currently trying to find voting and sponsorship records of
        the senator and others on bills related to health matters such
        as The Ryan White Care of 1990 and the Ryan White Care
        Reauthorization Act of 1995. Senator Kassebaum introduced the
        1995 bill to the Senate on March 28, 1995 and she (in the
        introduction) talked about "disparities and inequities in the
        current distribution of CARE Act funding.". This bill relates
        to HIV disease and AIDS.

        I will welcome any information on this or related actions that
        anyone may have that I can use as ammunition to influence
        Senator Kassebaum to join our corner.

E. Jack Savely CG for Jeannette 57/19+ Topeka, KS

KANSAS - 'THE WHEAT STATE' HOME OF THE SUNFLOWER AND 'TOTO'
Ad Astra per Aspera  -  'To the Stars through Difficulty'