I received the following response to my recent request about PD patients with
a family history of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (abbreviated ADHD
or ADD).  The symptoms of ADHD are very well described.  If the author of the
letter is correct in his hypothesis that ADHD may be a precursor to PD, then
it is probably important that ADHD children have the opportunity to be tested
with the neuroprotective medications that are currently under development.  Of
course, neurodegeneration has never been established in ADHD (a fertile area
for neuroimaging research).  In order for such research to be initiated it
would be helpful to know if other PD patients have experienced some of the
concentration problems described in this letter.  I would appreciate your

[log in to unmask]   Thanks.  Fiona Geiser, Ph.D.

Hello,
   I was diagnosed with PD 8 years ago today.  I am now age 53.  My wife
has an MS in school psychology and says much of what I describe re:
concentration problems fits her understanding of ADD.   I was basically a
bright student, but I always had a major problem with reading--especially
fiction.  I couldn't, and never could, stay focused.  I have always had a
hard time following and remembering movie plots and characters. and
listening carefully to directions.  My mind always wanted to move on.  When
listening to a speech I have throughout my life found it hard not to have
my mind wander.  I have always had a hard time remembering and juggling
details for multiple projects in a work environment--more than most.
   I have been in therapy for depression/ codependency since my diagnosis.
 I have learned that I have always stuffed my feelings, am
passive-aggressive, and can't remember my early childhood nearly as well as
healthy adults.   I suffer what feels like panic disorder;  and my
therapists verify a strong link between raising strong emotional issues and
triggering anxiety or what my neurologist and PD literature would call
"off" periods.  I believe Sinemet for PD and Ritalin do essentially the
same thing for brain chemistry.  I hypothesize that ADD may be an early
indicator of PD.
   My son has suggested he may have ADD --without any prior suggestion or
discussion with him about ADD at all.
   Please tell me how I can connect with this issue on the internet.  I
hope this has been helpful.

Richard Morelli