My name is Ruth Davis Evans.  I was officially diagnosed with PD in Fall of
'93 after self-diagnosis a few months earlier. I am an avid reader and also
had been a part-time caregiver for a PD relative of my husband's.  I
recognized symptoms as small handwwriting, voice changes, left-hand tremor,
loss of flexibility and to describe my movements (noticeable only to
myself) *my left foot didn't know what my right foot was doing*.  My family
doctor confirmed and referred me to my neurologist who started treatment.

I am now taking Sinemet 50/200 twice a day with Eldepryl in the morning.
Sinemet was recently increased from l-l/2 per day to 2 after experiencing
balance problems in the morning.  This probably was due to stress from a
serious illness of my husband and meanwhile taking all the responsibilities
involved in moving from 3rd floor to ground in our apartment building. I am
doing well with this regimen at present.

Other medications I take are: monopril and lozol for hypertension,
synthroid for hypothyroidism and premarin.  Incidentally, I took demerol
pre- and post-op for dental surgery last year with no problem.  I suppose
nothing was known about a possible problem with eldepryl.

Other PD'ers in my family include a brother (age 69) and a first cousin
(80's).  Our maternal grandfather died in the late l920's with what was
called *Creeping Palsy*. I wonder about PD in his case??

As for connection with diabetes, said brother is also diabetic, as well as
our deceased father.  Both have or had adult on-set. I am not diagnosed as
diabetic but my primary physician keeps watch as I may be pre-diabetic.

If I say I am in my 73rd year, don't think me a decrepit old lady - I'm
definitely NOT - I take care of myself, my home and all household affairs,
am actively socially and in my church and am eager to live to be a happy
and useful
*old lady* enjoying life with my *old man*.  Maybe a cure is in our future
- let's not give up HOPE!

(Forgive the length - I won't be so *wordy* next time.)