My grandfather was diagnosed with PD when I was a year old (I'm 23 now).
After being on this listserv for about a month now I have heard many
great things about a procedure called "pallidotomy" and I wondered why my
grandfather had never had this done.  When I asked my mother what
the reason for this was she told me that she did not even know what I was
talking about.  She was always in close contact with the doctors so she would
have been sure to know if this procedure was offered to him.  He recently
pasted away.  My grandmother on the other hand was just diagnosed with PD
about 2 years ago and still a pallidotomy has never been discussed with
her.  What exactly does a pallidotomy entail and why do you think that
the doctors have never discussed this with anyone from my family?  If
this is something that can help my grandmother in any way I would greatly
appreciate any information concerning this procedure, its benefits, and
perhaps even its downfalls.

Thank you all,
Amy Strizak