Chris Rohleder wrote:

> Hello,
> My father has had Parkinson's for about 6 years, his mother
> also had it. He is 67 years old and has lost his apetite and
> thus has thinned and become frail.

> c) What to do about apetite loss.

Loss of appetite is one of the most worrisome to nutritionists. It can
lead to serious malnutrition and decreased ability to fight off
infections and disease. Some suggestions that may help:
-distribute small portions of high-protein foods throughout the day.
This will ensure sufficient protein to meet the body's needs, as well as
lessen interference with medications.
-instead of eating 3 meals a day, break them up into six or more small
meals & snacks. The amount of food doesn't need to be any greater, just
broken up into smaller amounts. The body will have a better chance to
digest & absorb available nutrients, and your father won't feel so full
or so discouraged at facing a large amount of food.
-avoid high-fat foods; this will cause a "full" feeling sooner, and
lessen the chances of finishing a meal. Also, fat stays in the stomach
longer, and lessens chances of eating a nourishing snack a couple of
hours later.
-emphasize use of foods that are most appealing (I know, sometimes
nothing is appealing, but often some foods are somewhat more palatable
than others). If hot soup is easier to eat than steak, then a variety of
soups throughout the week is a good idea. Likewise, if it's easier to
ingest a cold drink, there are many types of nourishing shakes that can
be made in a blender.
-make sure all foods eaten are nutrient-dense (high nutrient/calorie
ratio)--milk, cooked dried beans, deep-green leafy vegetables are
examples of nutrient-dense foods
-Limit amount of liquids drunk with meals-they make you feel full
faster; instead, try drinking them an hour later.

There are many factors to consider: does he prepare his own meals, or is
someone else a caregiver? Do his medications prohibit  use of alcohol?
(sometimes a glass of wine can stimulate appetite). Is the atmosphere
appealing, the food attractively served? This can make a huge
difference. How much weight has he lost, and in what period of time?
(His height/weight determines his need for protein &
calories--sometimes a "goal" amount to strive for daily can help; with
others, it's a discouraging obstacle) Does he experience any
nausea/vomiting? Are there any mouth/dental problems? Does he have
lactose intolerance?

If you can give me more information, I may be able to give more specific
help.
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,