>I am new to the list, as my father was diagnosed with Parkinson's about a
>year ago at age 73.  I have a question about his behavior.  He has never
>been the most reasonable person around, however lately my mother has
>noticed that he has been acting very unreasonable lately.  For instance,
>one of my cousins, her brother's daughter, died recently and she wanted to
>travel from Ohio to New York to attend the funeral.  My father didn't want
>her to go.  He finally made the comment that she would do anything to get
>out of the house.
>
>Does Parkinson's affect the mind in this manner?  I live next door to
>them, so he shouldn't fear being left alone.  Any information would be
>helpful.
>

>Lisa

Lisa - You are not alone. Although my wife's symptoms are not quite the
same as your father's, I would say that there are times when she is quite
unreasonable, e.g., she really needs my support in walking, but she often
rejects it, only to fall. Your father may be right about your mother's wish
to get out of the house. I admit that there are times when I feel this need
strongly, much as I am devoted to my wife and her care. Cregivers need to
take care of themselves, too.

       Good luck   --   Bob Howard

Bob Howard, occasionally knowm formally as:
Robert B. Howard
1320 Wisconsin St., Apt. 411
Hudson, WI 5401
CG for Lorraine 76/10+
e-mail <[log in to unmask]>        New address as of 5/3/96
Voice phone: (715) 386-3596
FAX: (715) 386-8589                    Manual reception, requires phone
call.