Ronald F. Vetter wrote:

> Nancy Perry and numerous others including me have mulled over the toxic
> environmental exposure as cause theoretical postulated rather than genetic.
> The studies by many have been inconclusive.  There are some significant
> statistical correlations and some family genetic defects.
>
> Upon noting many of us recalling personally traumatic periods just before
> symptoms (Nancy's husband must have been very apprehensive about prostate
> cancer surgery) and I was very depressed following the automobile killing
> my daughter.
>
> Perhaps PD and AD (my mother developed symptoms during her depression
> occasioned by the death of my father due to infection complications
> following concurrent ulcer and bypass surgery post his heart attack) and
> other neural net (brain) diseases are correlatable to (brought on -
> manifested by) sustained mental anguish/depression.  Zero zest for life or
> suicidal feelings may trigger cognitive apoptosis of the whole neural
> network.  The brain's immune system in depression state for too long may
> self-destruct in one of these dis-ease syndromes.  Forgetting the
> unpleasant emotional woes that cognition is occupied with may induce
> forgetting  - loss of short term memory is manifest after the brain has
> been attempting to suppress memory of bad emotional events and/or emotional
> fear about the future.
>
> ron      1936, dz PD 1984
> Ronald F. Vetter <[log in to unmask]>
> http://www1.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/

Could this be the placebo effect.  The mind affecting the body in a positive/ negative
way?  To some degree this is certainly possible just consider the adrenaline rush that
occurs when we get frightened.

Why is this effect considered a nuisance?  Is it possible that PD patients are more
able to control there physical systems and when depression sets in we self destruct?
Why don't we learn how to control and/or develop this ability so we can use it to
improve our health?

I have been depressed prior and during the evolution of my PD, but never considered it
to be self destructive.  What a paradigm shift!

mike