At 12:19 AM 5/7/96 -0400, Larry Glen wrote:

>This is a different issue than Stephen B. Duff wrote about, it's one of
>interest to anyone on the list taking Vitamin E.  Since Mr. Duff has been
>involved in the processes of Vitamin E manufacture I am wondering if there
>is any more concensus these days about the type of Vitamin E to take.  You
>mentioned the plant manufactured dl-alpha tocopherl acetate.  When I look at
>Vitamin E advertisements I find references to
>        Pure D-Alpha Tocopherol
>        Mixed Tocopherols (D-Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta Tocopherols)
>        Distinction between TOCOPHEROL and TOCOPHERAL
>If you have anything enlightening to tell us about selecting a Vitamin E
>supplement I'm sure many of us would benefit.
>        Thanks
>        Larry Glenn
>Larry Glenn

Larry:

First, please feel free to address me as Steve or Stephen -- no need to be
formal here, just civil (-:  My organic chemistry is dated (circa 1971,
meaning I don't remember much) but here is the information that I have seen
on the net....

d-alpha tocopherol is the natural form and dl-alpha tocopherol is the
synthetic form of vitamin E.  For a more detailed explaination, visit
http://www.vrp.com/tocota.htm, or take the short explaination below:

Tocopherol is Vitamin E and Tocopheryl Acetate is a more stable form called
Vitamin E Acetate.  dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate is the acteate ester of
synthetic vitamin E and d-alpha tocopheryl acetate is the acetate ester of
natural vitamin E.  The basic issue is that the synthetic form is cheaper to
produce; however, some critics say the synthetic form is not as effective.
There are a few other forms of tocopherol that occur in a variety of plants.
I've seen references to Alpha, Beta, D-Alpha, Delta, Gamma and Zeta Tocopherols.

Stephen (Steve) Duff