At 12:48 AM 5/11/96 -0400, Larry Glenn wrote:

>Another question:  Most of the messages I read refer to doses of Vitamin E
>in milligrams (mg.)  But for some reason the Vitamin E supplements I see are
>always measured in "International Units" (IU).  This is different than any
>other supplements I have seen.  Is there a simple conversion from IU to mg?
>
>Larry Glenn

Larry:

There is usually no simple conversion because the International Unit (IU) is
based upon the activity of a vitamin.  Vitamin E is one of the exceptions
since 1 mg = 1 IU.  For Vitamin E, the activity is determined using an assay
called the Rat Resorption-Gestation Test (RR-GT). The RR-GT quantifies the
potency of compounds with vitamin E activity by measuring their ability to
prevent fetal resorption in pregnant rats deficient in vitamin E.

Some other examples:

Vitamin A, 1 IU retinol = 0.300 - 0.344 micrograms.
Vitamin A, 1 IU beta carotene= 0.600 micrograms.
Vitamin E, 1 IU tocopherol = 1 milligram

Regards,

Steve Duff