> Lisa, I'm sure your father's doctor (or doctors) are aware of all these possibilities. However, since you and
> your mother have seen some recent changes, I believe it would be a good idea to report them to his doctor(s)
> along with a complete list of all medications used, and the length of time used, especially since several of
> the drugs (Sinemet, Eldepryl, and Inderal) can interact with each other.  If your father receives prescriptions
> from more than one doctor, it's important to be sure that all doctors know about all the drugs he uses, and any
> side effects he experiences.
>
> Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD

A footnote.  Drugs that seemingly do not affect PD (according to the PDR)
may have a profound effect when combined with other meds.  I have shared
how strange my husband gets when he takes Lopressor with Sinemet, for
instance.

The key to understanding if it's the PD or the med is this (for us, at
least).  Know what normal is for yourself, or for you signficant other.
If there is a noticeable decline in functioning ability within a short
period of time after a new drug is started, suspect the drug.  WITH THE
HELP OF YOUR PHYSICIAN, wean the drug and see if functioning returns; if
it does, you can bet the drug is to be blamed for the dysfunction.

We recently had this problem with the NSAIDS my husband was taking for
Gout.  When our Rheumatologist challenged our assertion, we gently
explained that our observations have proven true in the past.  He now is
actively working with us to help Jamie maintain function.

Whatever you do, don't accept that "it's the Parkinsons."  Sometimes it
is, but occasionally (for us at least; my husband takes multiple meds), it
is not.
------
Peace and joy
Mary Ann