Zippo Bilbrok 3.0e8 wrote:

> > Lisa, I'm sure your father's doctor (or doctors) are aware of all these possibilities. However, since you and
> > your mother have seen some recent changes, I believe it would be a good idea to report them to his doctor(s)
> > along with a complete list of all medications used, and the length of time used, especially since several of
> > the drugs (Sinemet, Eldepryl, and Inderal) can interact with each other.  If your father receives prescriptions
> > from more than one doctor, it's important to be sure that all doctors know about all the drugs he uses, and any
> > side effects he experiences.
> >
> > Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
>
> A footnote.  Drugs that seemingly do not affect PD (according to the PDR)
> may have a profound effect when combined with other meds.  I have shared
> how strange my husband gets when he takes Lopressor with Sinemet, for
> instance.
>
> The key to understanding if it's the PD or the med is this (for us, at
> least).  Know what normal is for yourself, or for you signficant other.
> If there is a noticeable decline in functioning ability within a short
> period of time after a new drug is started, suspect the drug.  WITH THE
> HELP OF YOUR PHYSICIAN, wean the drug and see if functioning returns;

Mary Ann,
I'm so glad you said that. Instinctively, I'd like to be much more
forceful in my replies. But I believe it's important that people work
together with their physicians, and I fear undermining their faith in
their doctors. In general, I believe doctors do a good job and will work
with patients. But as you imply, it takes a proactive stance on the part
of the patient.

Polypharmacy is so prevalent in older adults that I always try to
determine whether drugs are at the root of the problem. I have literally
had clients diagnosed with dementia who were suffering from B12
deficiency, misdiagnosed, and overdrugged as a result. Though I'm not an
expert in PD, I am aware that some meds can mimic PD in older adults, so
I try to find out what meds the person takes, to see if they could be
the cause. In the case of this posting, the behavior changes seem to be
concurrent with med changes and I feel it's important to notify any
physicians involved.

Glad you reinforced the point!
Best regards,
--