> >        Pure D-Alpha Tocopherol
> >        Mixed Tocopherols (D-Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta
> >        Thanks
> >        Larry Glenn
> >Larry Glenn
> >

> Larry:
>

> natural vitamin E.  The basic issue is that the synthetic form is cheaper to
> produce; however, some critics say the synthetic form is not as effective.
> There are a few other forms of tocopherol that occur in a variety of plants.
> I've seen references to Alpha, Beta, D-Alpha, Delta, Gamma and Zeta Tocopherols.
>
> Stephen (Steve) Duff

To any interested:
The tocopherol group of vitamin E compounds has four members: alpha,
beta, gamma and delta. Alpha-tocopherol is the most biologically active,
and is the most widely distributed in nature. Natural alpha tocopherol
is somewhat more active than the synthetic form. I do not know of any
reason why mixed tocopherols should be preferred to pure alpha
tocopherol, as there would be less biological activity in the mixed
forms.

Though it's preferable to get as much vitamin E as possible in the diet,
there is considerable evidence that supplements are beneficial for most
people. I recommend to my clients (unless allergies or other
conditions are present) eating about a tablespoonful of mixed raw nuts
daily, as well as green leafy vegetables. Experts in general agree that
supplements of 100-200 mg/day. There is some evidence that high amounts
can increase risk of stroke in some individuals.
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,