To: Barbara Blake Krebs and Robert Howard,

You each write about >>throat/mouth/jaw/neck pain......>>
> My wife,76/10+, has had this symptom for about 4 years, and it is probably
the mosy
>distressing of all of her problems. The literature is silent about such
>pain, and it is not supposed to be a part of PD, which is a motor, not a
>sensory disorder. BUT this pain does respond to Sinemet and is most likely
>to occur in the mid-evening. She takes liquid Tylenol, bur frankly, we
>don't know whether that really helps or is just something to do. She does
>seem to get some help from Klonopin, a muscle relaxant related to Valium.
>This also makes her slepy, so it is a good Rx to take at night. We'd like
>to hear more about your experience. >

I found the following abstract in Medline, it may provide some clue to the
neck/jaw, etc... pain:

Author  -  Robertson LT; Hammerstad JP
Address  Department of Biological Structure and Function, School of
Dentistry, Oregon
Health Sciences University,
Portland 97201, USA.
Source
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry,
60:
1, 1996 Jan,
41-50

<Abstract

OBJECTIVES--To test the hypotheses that Parkinson's disease can
differentially produce deficits in voluntary and rhythmic jaw movements,
which involve different neuronal circuits, and that
levodopa treatment improves specific components of the motor deficit.
METHODS--Patients with idiopathic Parkinson's disease and control subjects
were tested on a series of jaw motor tasks that included simple voluntary
movement, isometric clenching, and natural and paced rhythmic
movements. Jaw movements were measured  by changes in electromagnetic
fields and EMG activity. Patients with Parkinson's disease with fluctuations
in motor responses to levodopa were tested while off and on.

RESULTS--During the off state, patients with Parkinson's disease were
significantly worse than the control subjects on most tasks.
The deficits included a decrease in amplitude and velocity during jaw
opening and closing, aberrant patterns and low amplitude of EMG activity
during clenching, and low vertical amplitude and prolonged durations of
occlusion during rhythmic  movements. No decrements were found in the
amplitude of voluntary lateral jaw movements or the frequency
of rhythmic movements. During the on state, improvements occurred in the
patterns and level of EMG activity during clenching and in the vertical
amplitude and duration of occlusion during rhythmic movements, although a
significant decrement occurred in the lateral excursion of the jaw.

CONCLUSIONS--Parkinson's  disease affects the central programming of
functionally related muscles involved in voluntary and rhythmic jaw
movements and levodopa replacement influences only certain aspects of jaw
movement, most likely those requiring sensory feedback.
Language of Publication>English
>Unique Identifier</>
96151176<<Levodopa

Regards,