From:   Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf of Brian
Collins
Sent:   Friday, May 03, 1996 6:13
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Introducing myself

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject:  Hello World.

   I have just joined your discussion group, having been a www user
for about two weeks, so I hope I don't make too many errors.

   I am new to the www, but I am certainly not new to Parkinson's,
having been diagnosed over 16 years ago, at the age of 40.

  I live in the city of Derby, in the UK. ( Do you have any other
UK subscribers ?).  I am Treasurer of the local Derby branch of the
Parkinson's Disease Society of the UK, temporary Welfare liason
officer, and am one of the founding members of a new group within
the society called SPRING.  ( SPecial Research INterest Group).

  I believe that places me right in the middle of one of the most
serious and long-running debates within our society - Whether our
hard-earned money should be spent on research to find a cure, or
used to bring comfort and care to the many sufferers of PD. Our
constitution requires us to give equal weight to both aspects
which I consider to be the right balance, but many disagree with
me. Is it a subject of discussion within this group ?

  Another subject of importance to me is the use of Levadopa in PD.
I have been taking levodopa for over 13 years, and like most people
have found it more and more difficult to get the dosage right. To
help me understand the effects of the various tablets and dosages,
I have written a computer program which attempts to evaluate these
characteristics amd in effect produce a model of myself and the
tablets. Having done that I was able to use the program to define
a regime of tablets which I believe has added at least 2 to 3 years
onto my "effective" life. I would be happy to discuss this in more
detail as I think it could help other people beside myself.

Well, that is quite enough from me. I look forward to learning much
from this group.  (How many subscribers are there ?)

Brian Collins