>Do we all have our own pet ideas on what stressor/s caused our own systems
to break down?  If so maybe we could prepare for a survey by listing
everyones ideas on what caused THEIR PD.  My personal list of suspects are:
>1) Agent Orange
>2) mercury (amalgam fillings)
>3) severe psycological stress
>4) alcohol
>5) smoking
>6) anti-malaria pills
>
>Gee this list could get very long if everybody has many suspects!
>
>Anyway, after we compile a list of the suspects, we could then circulate
the questionaire to the list.  If everyone on the list would respond for
themselves and significant others who have/not have PD then would we have a
statistically significant sample?  Would any statustician care to comment?

>It seems to me the shared wisdom of this group could be tremendous if it is
focused correctly after all we live with the disease 24 hours a day!

>mike

Response:

Mike, I like the idea.  My own belief is that toxins in the environment,
including the job, are the problem. A study in Sweden, published in the
British Journal of Industrial Medicine,  did a statistical analysis of the
probability of developing  neurodegenerative diseases in various
occupations. This study was the most detailed mathmatically that I have come
across. The results rated the the likelyhood of coming down with
neurodegenerative disease in, for example welding, as 10 times as great as
in the general population.  I can dig out the ref. if you are interested.

                                                                        Peace,

    John