At 11:46  13/05/96 -0400, Camilla Flintermann wrote:
>Re: Clordane--this is powerful stuff! Before it was banned, it was used
>to termite-proof a house we were just moving out of. The fumes were
>so bad, and I was apparently allergic to them, that I went to our newhouse and
>slept there for a feew nights, while Peter (who now has the PD) stayed in
>the oldplace, as he was_apparently_not bothered by them.  This was in about
>1964, and he was Dxed in 1989--but had had many symptoms which now seem to have
>been precursors of PD for some 15 yrs. earlier (at least) Ironic, if the
>allergy and swollen nose kept me safe, and it should turn out that clordane
>was actually some sort of"trigger"for PD....I wonder if someday the
>researchers will discover WHY one person  gets ONE type of PD, say with
>much tremor , while another gets the type with little or no tremor, but
>bradykinesia and rigidity(and maybe also cognitive losses)--are there
>different triggers/genetic predispositions for different versions???

Camilla's observations are interesting and thought provoking.

My mother and I became very ill one evening and my father called the doctor
to come to the house (those were the good old days). When the doctor arrived
he yelled, "Coal gas - open the doors and windows". That was about 1956 or
so. I was not diagnosed till 1993, but I also had symptoms which now seem to
have been precursors of PD for at least 8 years earlier.

I was raised in a rural area and drank well water.

All of my brothers and sisters were smokers, while I was not.

There is no PD in my family.

Judith