Would appreciate comments on the accuracy of my statements around the
abortion legislation and the source of (GDNF) materials. I am  a CPA
not a medical professional but am trying to diffuse as many issues as I
can so we can get co-sponsors. I will cross check everything I receive
on this before these  letters go out.
Bob Martone [log in to unmask]
May 16, 1996

Dear Representative ( _____________),

Just wanted to thank you for the time you spent with Nancy and I while
we were in Washington. With Nancy's Parkinson's Disease nipping away at
every corner while we were on the Hill, our journey to Washington was
exhausting and emotion packed as you may recall from her tears.

As of this writing the Udall Bill HR1462 The Parkinson's research,
Education and Assisstance Act now has 31 Senator's and 131
Representatives co-sponsoring.
We have not heard from you on this issue. We seek your compassion and
understanding for our own personal plight but also for the millions who
are now or soon will be afflicted by this devastating disease. The
economic case is compelling as the bill will almost surely lead to a
cure before the baby boomer generation hits the age window when PD so
often strikes which is betwee 57 and 61 years of age. The bill requests
$100 million each year for 5 years to be targeted for Parkinson's
Disease. Of all the neurological disorders, the medical community seems
united in their view that targeting PD at this stage of the curative
discovery process is a clear winner.
Some of you seemed concerned about pro-life versus pro-choice. Nancy
and I happen to be pro-life. This bill we do not feel supports any pro
abortion positions. It does not preclude the use of any available
tissue/organ  sources that might assist the researchers in developing
the cure and we do not believe it should preclude such use. Use of
human fetal tissue has been demonstrated to have some signiicant
benefits but appears to just be a path to finding the cure and is not
likely to be a long term solution. Through past legislation women
choosing to have abortions can not direct  the use of that tissue and
we believe that is the legistative link that protects the unborn in
this complex issue. We do not believe that this bill would encourage
abortions or approve of them in anyway. We would not endorse that. On
the other hand use of human organs and for that matter those of other
species to save the life or improve the hopeless state of thiose
afflicted  with other  ailments makes sense and we do embrace that as a
solution.

With regard to glial cell derived neurotropic factors (GDNF)  that
research does not invovle the use of fetal cell tissue.  That was
another question raised by some of you. These enzymes appear to
activate or rejuvinate dormant dopamine producing brain cells which
would simulate if not be a cure. This exciting research is just one of
the reasons the PD community has come together at this time in search
research funds.

Please tell us that we can count on your support  to co-sponsor this
legislation.
Yours truly,
Bob Martone etc