Dear Keith Bea--I've been thinking about your post re: fetal tissue
transplantation/abortion, and want to respond.  I do appreciate the
spirit and tone of your message, and certainly respect your right to believe as
you do, and I expect that you would also respect the right of those who
may differ on this or other issues, like some who have responded already.
That said, I would comment as follows:
  1. Research for a cure of PD includes MUCH more than fetal tissue research.
  2. A woman having an abortion is prohibited from knowing or determining wheth
er any use is made of the  tissue exactly to avoid the kind of abuse we all
would fear if this were not the case.
  3.Abortion is legal--but no one is FORCED to have one, nor would anyone
with PD be FORCED to have a fetal tissue transplant.
  4. In a democracy, it seems inappropriate for persons who for themselves
reject something   (that is legal)to prevent others from having it,if it will
help them. There are always things that our taxes pay for that we may person-
ally object to, and we have every right to try to change laws we disagree
with, but until that happens, others have a right to act on their different
beliefs.  I, for example, object to the proportion of my taxes that is used to
pay for the excesses of the military, or to subsidize tobacco farmers, etc--
but so long as these things are legal I can only work to change the laws.
 5. I agree that whether abortions are forbidden or are safe and legal, they
'll be performed, as always--and there seems to me to be something to be said
for having some good come out of what is a tragic situation.
 I've tried to write in the spirit of your post, without contentiousness,
only to suggest that to oppose the Udall bill, which is so much broader than
this one issue, seems to me to be too bad, though as Voltaire said,"I will
defend to the death your  right"....to do so.
 Camilla Flintermann,CG for Peter 78/6+ Oxford,OH