To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject: Doses of SinemetCR

Ref: Message from Patricia  <[log in to unmask]>

Potential problems caused to taking half Sinemet CR

I have been advised that it is not a good idea to break a Sinemet CR
in half, because the carefully timed rate at which it disolves in
the stomach is upset by the exposure of the centre of the tablet. In
other words, you may get half the dose of Levodopa, but spread over
maybe 3 hours instead of 4 hours.
If you have access to them, it is much better to take a Madopar CR,
which contains exactly half the Levodopa of Sinemet CR.  I have
tried both types, and found that taking two Madopar CR produced
exactly the same result as 1 Sinemet CR, but for the half dose, one
Madopar CR is more precise.

My experience with Sinemet/Madopar ( I have been taking them for 13
years) is that I only need about half my daytime dosage while I am
sleeping - a Madopar CR is about right. Without it, the tremors keep
me awake, and with too much I am too *switched on* to get to sleep.

Regarding the nausea which some people experience, I can only say
that I am fortunate in not having a problem.  I do not believe in
the standard suggestion to take the tablets after a meal, because
it not only stops the nausea - it ruins the effect of the tablet.
All I can suggest is that you always try to take the minimum
effective dose, (and I do mean effective), because I believe that
this is the best way to prolong the useful life of Levodopa (and it
might help your nausea.)

Brian Collins  < [log in to unmask] >