Hello again;

This is part two of two... If only we could type using this=20
technique...

Australian scientists' bright idea is a brain wave

Copyright =A9 1996 Nando.net Copyright =A9 1996 Reuter Information Servic=

SYDNEY (May 16, 1996 02:00 a.m. EDT) - Australian scientists say they=20
have discovered how to use brain waves to switch on a light.

By putting two electrodes on the skull and connecting them to an=20
amplifier and transmitter, a person can use the minute voltage in=20
their brain waves to control electric devices, the scientists said=20
before demonstrating the technique on Thursday.

They stressed they were not controlling thought patterns, merely the
voltage of brain waves.

"What we have done is to identify signals within the brain which we=20
believe everyone can control and devised some novel technology to pick=20
up and analyse those signals," said health science professor Ashley=20
Craig at Sydney's University of Technology.

"Once analysed, those signals can be made to activate any device such=20
as a household appliance," Craig told Reuters.

During the demonstration fellow scientist Les Kirkup closed his eyes=20
and relaxed, raising the voltage from his brain waves from 0.9 to 3.5,=20
turning on a desk lamp across the room.

As he opened his eyes, the voltage dropped and the light switched off.=20
In this way Kirkup also turned on and off a toy robot and controlled=20
the speed of a slot car.

Craig said the group of scientists, which also includes Paul McIsaac,=20
based their work on the fact that the brain emitted electric impulses=20
to control the body. These impulses have consistent wave patterns, he=20
said.

By monitoring the waves, they found a "mind switch" between the Alpha
waves, which are associated with relaxation, and the Theta waves,=20
which occur when a person is drowsy, Craig said.

"We find what we call the mind switch and capture the wave and harness=20
it," said Craig, adding there were physical movements which helped=20
control the brain wave. "By closing the eyes and relaxing you can=20
harness the mind switch."

The scientists said they had found that 95 percent of people tested=20
were able to control the "mind switch" without training.

Kirkup, an applied physicist, said the amplifier and transmitter used=20
in harnessing the brain waves were made from everyday electrical=20
components.

"It's all basic components you can buy off the shelf. It's real=20
simple," Kirkup said.

The group has received A$205,000 (US$164,000) funding from the Motor
Accident Authority in New South Wales state to develop applications=20
for the severely disabled.

They said the mind switch technology could also be used to develop=20
fatigue warnings for drivers or pilots, to develop brain wave=20
signatures for security, or for remote controlled toys.

your parkie sister in paradise
when the corn is almost as high as an elephant's eye

                                                              =20