Here is a sample letter to Congress re the Udall bill (from the
Parkinson's Action Network):

The Honorable ______________, M.C.
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC  20515

OR

The Honorable ________________
United States Senate
Washington, DC  20510

Dear Representative/Senator _________:

I/we seek your support for an action which will benefit the
Parkinson's community's great need for increased research
support.  I/we ask you to co-sponsor the Morris K. Udall
Parkinson's Research and Education Act.  The bill, S684 and
H.R. 1462, was introduced on April 6, 1995 by its principal
sponsors, Mark Hatfield and Henry Waxman, and currently has
over 200 House and Senate Co-sponsors.

I [my husband/wife/parent etc.] suffer from Parkinson's
disease, a progressive neurological disorder that destroys
brain cells controlling motor function.  Available treatment
only partially alleviates the resulting stiffness, tremor
and slowness of movement.  Eventually it leaves its victims
unable to walk, to talk, even to move.  [Revise for your own
story]

In addition to these devastating human consequences,
Parkinsoon's financially cripples our nation:  It costs an
estimated $26 billion in direct and indirect costs per year.
Meanwhile, U.S. support for direct Parkinson's research
currently amounts to a more $26 per year per patient, which
is far less than most other diseases receive.

This is unfair to the Parkinson's community, and it ignores
a tremendous scientific opportunity.  Scientists say they
have the potential for major treatment advances, and very
possibly a cure of Parkinson's, in this decade.  But this
will not happen without an adequate research investment.

The Udall bill would authorize the necessary expansion of
Parkinson's research through strengthening of the NIH
research effort, grants to scientific teams performing the
highest priority Parkinson's research nationwide, and other
programs including Morris K. Udall Research Excellence
Awards and a centralized data bank.

Please do not allow our community to be ignored any longer.
To restore our hope, and eliminate a huge economic burden on
our government and economy, we ask that you add your name as
a co-sponsor of the Udall bill.

Thank you for your attention.  Please respond at your
earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

[Your name, address, and phone number]

Margaret Monty