Yes, I know the subject heading I used is provocative. But no apologies. Enough is
enough.
        Keith Bea writes:  "...We have discussed the fetal tissue transplant issue in
our family (my father-in-law, 75, has PD) and my wife very strongly opposes that
treatment option.  I have taken a "I'm not sure" attitude for awhile, but I recently
came around to her position. I am a caregiver, not a patient.  I do not know the agony
personally.  For various reasons, I am quite familiar with the impact of abortion and I
strongly believe that all actions that would encourage, justify, or condone
abortions..."

What are those of us with PD to do while Keith works out his moral dilemma? -- As he
changes from "strongly opposed" to "I'm not sure" to whatever...??  Do we suffer in
silence? Do we give up our hopes of a successful therapeutic intervention? Do we watch
the Udall Bill die because of all the ignorant, knee-jerk, unsubstantiated rhetoric on
this subject? My answer in NO.

Mr. Bea says, "...I'm not a patient."   Well, I am. And if aborted fetal tissue will
improve my quality of life, I'm going to use it. Period.

I suggest to Mr. Bea, and anyone else who has an "opinion" on this issue to be grateful
that we live in the good ol' US of A, where everyone is entitled to express their
opinions. But I would also remind you that when I sit down and calmly weigh the
real-world value of all of the numerous opinions and "moral imperatives" re: fetal
tissue research against my own personal struggle with a devastating, progressive
neurological disease, I realize the simple truth that these lofty opinions aren't
helping reduce the tremors, and the knee-jerk rhetoric doesn't make it any easier in the
morning to button my shirt or deal with the bradykinesia. Get the picture Keith?

Respectfully,  Martin K Bayne  Email= [log in to unmask]