>Barbara Blake Krebs   [log in to unmask] wrote:  <<<I have started to have a
>reaction to my increase use of the mouse, namely pain & weakness in my
>neck.  I think the amount of scrolling I do reading the list, copying
>certain items into separate files is getting to me.  So I will need to pace
>myself more on this activity.  Any suggestions?>>>

Computer users are subject to neck, arm and shoulder pain.  Severe neck pain
can be the result of incorrect positioning of the monitor.  Especially if
you wear bifocal eyeglasses.  The recommended position of the monitor, "at
eye level" is not correct for anyone who wears bifocals.  Because of the
distance to the screen, you will be using the lower portion of the lens.
This results in the head being held up in an unnatural position, and creats
muscle strain in the neck, especially if you are spending long periods on
the computer.  I speak from experience.  I was working full time at a
computer, wearing bifocals, and ended up with several sessions of massage
therapy to correct the neck strain, before I realized what was causing it.

If you wear bifocals, you should try to get your sitting position as high as
possible (I use an adjustable office chair at maximum height).  The TOP of
the monitor screen should be about eye level (I have mine sitting directly
on the desk.)

Knowing what can cause severe neck pain will make it much easier to avoid
it.  When you are sitting at your computer, check your posture, if your head
is tilted back in order to read the screen, adjust your sitting position, or
adjust the level of the monitor, until your position is comfortable.

Extended use of a mouse can result in an injury to the arm and shoulder.  It
is called Repetitive Strain Injury.  It will result in reduced mobility of
the arm. i.e. you will  not be able to lift your arm straight above your
head, or reach behind your back.  This type of injury is more common among
computer operators working with design software (CAD) which is mainly mouse
operated.  To avoid this type of injury, don't spend long periods of time at
the computer.  Take breaks, and stretch your mouse arm frequently.

There was some mention of the mouse being inconvenient for left-handed
people.  The windows software has a configuration setting which will reverse
the buttons on the mouse for left-handed operation.

Hope this is of some help.
Regards from Ottawa
Gary Green