I found the attached review of voice recognition software products on the
www. Hoopeo others find it helpful. It includes the Dragondictate product
recently desribed on the list.

David

 Voice Recognition Software Products

 Last Updated: 4/15/96
 by Nancy Dawson, National Center for Atmospheric Research

Prices, dictionary sizes, computer systems, and capabilities change
frequently. Contact companies for details and for names of local resellers
who can demonstrate the products for you.

 NOTE: Some users develop voice strain from dictating. For a summary of
solutions, see "Voice Problems--Prevention and Correction".

FULL DICTATION PACKAGES

 Kurzweil Voice for Windows , 1-800-380-1234
 IBM compatibles (486, 33 Mhz minimum); works under Windows 3.11 and Windows95.
 Much better on faster machines! I use this product on a Pentium 90. For
work on Sun workstations, I dictate on the Pentium in either
 FrameMaker or Microsoft Word and save the files as text-only. Then I
transfer the file to the UNIX world by using Winsock FTP
 software. Or, I telnet from the Pentium to my UNIX account and can then
dictate directly into UNIX files.

 DragonDictate, 1-800-825-5897
 IBM compatibles (486, 33 Mhz minimum); works under Windows 3.11 and Windows95.
 Much better on faster machines! UNIX users use DragonDictate on an IBM
compatible, then use free a2x software to translate the output onto the UNIX
workstation. DragonDictate has versions in seven different languages.

 IBM VoiceType Dictation, 1-800-825-5263
 for OS/2 and Windows

 Power Secretary, from Articulate Systems, 1-617-935-5656
 Macintoshes
 A text dictation system, reviewed by David Pogue in MACWORLD, August 1995,
pp. 157-58. He also uses QuicKeys 3.01 (CE Software, 1-515-221-1801) to
create voice macros for commands.