To: Alan Bonander and Multiple recipients of PARKINSN list
From: Brian Collins: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Sinemet CR.

Hi Alan,
  I'm really enjoying this discussion (and learning a lot also). I'd
like to talk about the effect of using Sinemet CR on newly-diagnosed
patients. Basically, I'm against it, but I think I have a reasonable
explanation of what goes on.

Have you ever considered what would happen if you gave a normal non-
Parkinsonian a large dose of levodopa ?  Based on the way that we
react to just a small excess, we might expect a pretty violent
reaction from a non-sufferer. In fact, apart from possibly a slight
headache, there is no other reaction !  The reason for this (to me)
surprising result is that the normally functioning brain operates on
a feed-back system to regulate the required level of Dopamine in the
brain. When an external source of Dopamine appears, the brain simply
shuts down as much of the normal Dopamine production as necessary to
maintain the required total flow rate.

In a PD sufferer's brain, around 80% to 90% of the normal Dopamine
producing cells have died, so the remaining system is limited in the
response that it can make to an external dose of Dopamine - too
much really will result in an excess of Dopamine and hence
dyskinesias. At the same time, some external Dopamine is needed to
keep the normal functions going.

Now, if we consider a relatively newly- diagnosed PD patient, he
still has some production capability,  requires less external
Dopamine, and can (to a certain degree) regulate this production
system to cope with excessive dosage. However, just because the
brain can cope with an *overdose* does not mean that it is a good
thing to do it on a regular basis with a larger than necessary
tablet dosage. It has been suggested that a sort of burn-out could
result from contnued larger than necessary doses.  I believe that if
we operate on the basis of *just enough* we will prolong the useful
time that we can extract from Levodopa.

I am fascinated (and impressed) by your experience with direct
infusion of liquid sinemet. I would imagine that with this system,
you would tend to operate on the *just enough* principle. It is
interesting that I have also found ( over a 2 to 3 year span, that
my just-enough dosage level has also remained at a virtually
constant level (using the computer analysis system which I have
mentioned previously.) The thing that does progressively decrease
is the tolerable overdose level, above which dyskinesias occur.
One day this level will be lower than the required mimimum dosage
level: Until then, I can cope . ( It's like the man who fell off
a skyscraper building - as he passed a second floor window, he was
heard to say "So far, I'm coping pretty well".

Regards,   Brian Collins  [log in to unmask]