From: Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>
Response to: Katherine Holden
Subject: PD and exercise

I have found that fitness is a very important plus in the fight
against PD. I still consider myself as fairly young at 56, and try to
exercise regularly, mostly by cycling. To my surprise, I have found
that even when I am in a shaking (Off) condition, and would not dream
of driving my car, I can still ride and control a bicycle!

  The only word of caution which I would suggest is that the tremor
and muscular rigidity associated with PD can place considerable stress
on the joints - I have some pain from partial collapse of the pads
between the vertebrae in my neck, definitely caused by PD, so it is
advisable to choose a form of exercise which does not cause excessive
stress to a few specific joints, particularly if they are already
stressed by PD. Remember: PD can affect literally any part of the body
and we are all different, so can only offer general advice.

Regards,  Brian Collins