Today, I faxed or e-mailed the following letter w/ minor variations to
Kassebaum, Meyers, & Roberts.  I am contemplating contacting some local media
sources as well.  I have only identified 2 other Kansans on this list serve
since I began.  Would like to know what others in our state are doing.
Thanks.

**********

May 20, 1996

The Honorable Pat Roberts
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

re:  H.R. 1462, The Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Research & Education Act

Dear  Pat:

 I would appreciate knowing your position on this important health bill which
I understand was first introduced on April 6, 1995, and currently has over
200 House and Senate Co-sponsors.

 More and more young people are being diagnosed with this progressive
neurological disorder that destroys brain cells controlling motor function.
 I myself was diagnosed with Parkinson's at the age of 44, over 11 years ago.
  What triggers PD may be a variety of environmental and other factors, but
currently its symptoms of tremor, slow gait, facial mask, etc. can only be
temporarily allieviated with available treatments, and over time these
treatments become less and less effective.

 Scientists and research physicians are offering opinions that "there is no
other neurological disease about which we have so much information....
Significant improvements in treatment may already by available among
procedures now in trials.  And surely a cure is on the horizon...it also is
important to remember that research in this area has traditionally had a
major impact on many other areas of clinical research..."*

 An upgrade in government support, which I understand is presently far less
than for many other diseases, is thus timely and has long-term economic and
human resource benefits.  For I can testify personally to how my productivity
to my family and community has been sharply curtailed, and  when I think of
the possible care I could need down the road which would be beyond the
resources of my family or the scope of any available private insurance, I see
the spector of being dependent on the government.  I think, therefore, that I
represent many for whom even more intensive research now makes much more
likely a win-win outcome for patients, their families, their communities, and
their governments.

I would welcome your attention to this matter, to hear your view, and to
respond to any concerns I might know the anweer to or could research.  Thank
you.

Barbara Blake-Krebs

*Michael J. Zigmond, Professor of Neuroscience and Psychiatry, University of
Pittsburgh

ec:  Parkinson List Serve