Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD wrote:

> To the group,
> I hope as many of you as possible can find time to reply to this
> question. A client with PD has asked me about exercise. He used to run
> regularly, now walks as much as possible and wants to know if it's safe.
> While I applaud his efforts, I explained that I cannot advise in this
> area as I have no professional expertise outside nutrition. I suggested
> he speak to his doctor or an exercise physiologist. He replied that his
> doctor offered no help.
>
> Do any of you have comments, thoughts, experience or advice? I'm coming
> to believe that I can get better information from this list than from
> local professionals. In fact, I now advise clients with PD to join the
> list if they have a computer.
> Thanks for any help--
> --
> Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
> Editor-in-Chief,
> "Spotlight on Food--nutrition news for people 60-plus"
> Tel: 970-493-6532   Fax: 970-493-6538
> http://www.fortnet.org/~fivstar
> Contact  Better Business Bureau of the Mountain States,
> < [log in to unmask]>Kathrynne,

All the literature I have read recommends exercise for the PD patient,
particularly the literature available from the four national
Parkinson's organizations, APDA, NPF, PDF and UPF. In my experiance
the only time I have felt a  slight improvment is just after exercise.
I am walking about 2 miles a day as well as the exercises in the
booklets by the above organizations.
---Milo
--
Milo V. Anderson, Ph.D.