To the Group:

>Kathie Tollifson wrote: Now, my question is which proteins are most likely to compete with Carbidopa/Ldopa for th"carriers" in our
bloodstream,

I was wondering that myself, and have been curious as to why some people
have experienced reactions from milk. Milk has only 8 grams of protein
per 8 oz glass, and 12 grams carbohydrate. Whereas a 3-1/2 oz portion of
meat has about 24 grams of protein. I could easily understand meat
interfering, but was at a loss to explain the milk.

I just received "Good Nutrition in PD" from Susan Reese. I find that the
aminos in question appear to be the large neutrals. Much to my surprise,
I find that 8 oz of milk contain about half the LNAAs of a portion of
lean ham, and about 1/3-1/2 the LNAAs of a serving of beef.

So--though the meat serving has about 3 times as much protein as a glass
of milk, the milk has proportionately more of the LNAAs.

As milk is such a good source of calcium (lack of which is now
implicated in hypertension and heart disease as well as osteoporosis)I
recommend that people experiencing adverse reactions 1) purchase
milk that is NOT protein-fortified (some of it has dry milk solids
added) and 2) drink only a half or a fourth glass at a time and see if
they can tolerate that amount.

Hope I haven't wasted band space, but I think it's worth noting. Please
let me know if my comments are too long, I won't take it personally.
Best regards,
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,