>Does anyone know anything about Trazodone?  A psychiatrist has prescribed it
>for depression instead of the Pamelor (Nortriptolene).  We need to know as
>soon as possible.
>
>Pam Dalby ([log in to unmask])daughter of Ardith 74/9

Reply from Steven Mayer ([log in to unmask]>
Trazadone  is a relatively new antidpressant that is chemically and
pharmacologically distinct from tricyclic (e.g. amitryptiline) and monoamine
oxidase inhibitors, which have in common anticholinewrgic effects (dry
mouth, constipation, urinary retention , hypotension, etc.). Trazodone is
thus considered to be a safer and less unpleasant drug.
        However, the drug has not yet been widely used nor for long periods
of time. There may be, as yet hidden, side effects that may place major
restrictions on its use, particularly in the very young and the elderly.

        Regards, Steven