Ms. May,
My mother, Dolores, age 75, PD for 10+ years, wishes to participate in your
survey in hopes that this information can be used for the benefit of all on
this list.  Hence I am submitting this on her behalf.

Dolores hails from Detroit, Michigan where she lived for 20 years.  Before my
father proposed to her and whisked her away to California, she had an early
childhood incident which she recalls vividly.  She was standing in the
kitchen with her older brother when the refridgerator suddenly fell down and
spilled some kind of chemical with a strong odor all over the floor.
 Presumably this was probably the coolant, but she has no idea what was
contained in refridgerators of that era.  The accident happened so fast that
she had no time to get away before she and her brother were exposed to the
fumes.  Both of them became quite ill and got severe headaches for the next
two or three days after.  Her brother later developed Multiple Sclerosis and
died 15 years ago.

In 1957, my mother was offered a job in Italy.  I was born there a year later
and in 1971, when I was 13 and she was 51, our little family moved from our
former apartment to a lovely house in the seaside resort of Tirrenia.  What
we perhaps should have researched before we moved was the fact that Tirrenia
has long had a history of mosquito infestations.  It is surrounded by the
Mediterranean on one side, and a swampy forest with boggy creeks on the
other.  Several times a year, the pesticide truck would drive slowly down
each of the streets in the community and spray everything in sight with a
thick foggy mist of repellant that would stick in our throats and eyes and
make us choke.  We suspect it was DDT.  We put up with this exposure for five
years because not much was known of the dangers back then.

While I was growing up, my father's main livlihood was as an oil painter,
instructor and art history teacher.  As such, he would often hold classes in
our home and/or would travel wherever he could teach.  We would help him
organize all his paints and erect the easels.  Many times we stayed as
observers because he has always been a wealth of knowledge.  He would also
paint the walls of each of our rented homes whenever they needed it and would
do home improvements.  My mother was exposed to many different kinds of
paints, varnishes, etc. from the time she married my father until he retired;
a total of some 45 years.

My mother believes that any one of these factors could have contributed to
the onset of her Parkinsons, let alone all of them combined.  The final straw
was when she started exhibiting symptoms of which she was very much afraid to
admit to herself or her family, and of which she was powerless to control.
 Her right hand started to tremble, which later moved to encompass most of
her right side and part of her left.  She could no longer go on the long
hikes in the beautiful forests of Germany where we moved to in 1976.  Her
posture became more stooped and she walked much more slowly, observing
everything in her path very carefully.  She tried to hide this from my father
and I and her employer for three years until she could no longer go without
medical assistance.  She suffered much harrassment on the job where many that
knew her outstanding previous competence had already retired and new
employees were eyeing her responsible supervisory job as if it were a juicy
porkchop just waiting to be had.  She hung in there until she could retire
with full benefits despite the hardships, but they took their toll.  The
stress was much more than she should ever have had to bear and I hope that
this newer generation of the work force of which I am a third-generation part
of will be much more compassionate and aware and will fight against such
horrid discrimination.

Sincerely,
Valerie D. Brown  [log in to unmask]
CG for Dolores, 75, PD for 10+ years, Madopar, Movergan