                                 RTK.NET Mail 156145   May 22 14:51:54 1996

I did some reading on this topic because I wanted to know what research would
be impacted by the ban on federal support for research using human embryos
that was part of the January continuing resolution that funded NIH for FY96.
Those supporting the ban claimed they were most disturbed by human eggs
being fertilized in the laboratory for research purposes.  Those opposing
the ban pointed out that many of these embryos are donated by couples trying
in vitro fertilization and that this research could lead to important
understandings of neurological development  that might help us learn more
about neurological disorders like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.  This ban was
probably the impetus for the discussion of the ethics of research using
human embryos that was quoted on the list.  I don't remember the details,
and time periods, but the stage at which fetal neural tissue will be
suitable for implants is definitly later than the "embryo" stage.

While research using human embryos could have important implications for PD
research, it is, unlike fetal tissue transplant studies, not one of the most
promising areas on the road to find a cure.  Because of this, addressing
the embryo research ban is not a priority when we have more significant work
like working for passage of the Udall bill and clearing up misconceptionsx
about fetal tissue research.

Transmission of viruses to patients receiving fetal tissue implants is also
a serious concern.  One of the advantages using fetal pig tissue rather than
human fetal tissue is the fact that we can exert more control over the
environment and do advance screening--obviously, since the topic of fetal
tissue donation cannot be introduced until after the decision to have an
abortion has been made, any advance screening of the mother would be
extremely limited.  In addition, Dr. Isacson found in cross species
implant animal studies that the rate of recovery from MPTP induced symptoms
corresponds with how quickly the donor species' neural tissue begins
producing dopamine during normal fetal development. Future Parkinson's
treatments (as opposed to experimental procedures) that develop from current
research with fetal tissue implants will involve either animal fetal tissue
or cells genetically engineered to produce dopamine.  My personal hunch is
that scientists will develop the ability to engineer cells to produce
dopamine and also to produce nerve growth hormones such as GDNF.  I believe
implants using both types of cells will be the most promising.

Sherri