The study and culture of fetal cells dates back to the 1930's. Since
early in its history, fetal tissue has been used in developing cell
lines. A cell line is a sample of cells originating from the same parent
cell, that has undergone the process of adaptation to artificial
laboratory cultivation and is capable of sustaining continuous long-term
growth in culture. Fetal cells also provide special advantages as cell
lines because of their rapid growth and adaptability, and because they
are less likely to be rejected by a recipient than tissue obtained from
adult donors.

My graduate work at MIT's Cell Culture Center was focused on developing
connective tissue cell lines for the production of interferon for
clinical applications. The recent questions on PARKINSN re: safety and
contamination of fetal tissue should be put in perspective. In vitro
cells that are "harvested" in a controlled, laboratory environment are
rigorously and continually screened for contaminants and foreign
antigens. It should also be noted -- for those of us with PD -- that
these fetal cells have tremendous therapeutic potential for the treatment
of our disease. We're VERY CLOSE to a cure. Let's put aside all of the
political and religious rhetoric and let the scientists continue their
research.  Respectfully, Martin Bayne