Someone asked for a draft letter in support of the Udall bill.  I
 emailed this to NY's Pat Moynihan and you can adapt.  [note the
 reference to 8-10 M voters in the extended PD community].

Come on NYer's let's get Pat on our side.  I'll even vote for him!

----------

May 23, 1996

The Honorable Pat Moynihan
U.S. Senate Building
Washington, DC 20515
EMail: [log in to unmask]

re:  S684 The Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Research & Education Act

Dear  Pat:

I would appreciate knowing your position on this important health bill
 which  was first introduced on April 6, 1995, and currently has over
 200 House and Senate co-sponsors.

More and more young people are being diagnosed with Parkinsons - a
 progressive neurological disorder that controls motor function.  I was
 diagnosed at age 50 and have joined the 1.5M directly afflicted and
 the  8-10M caregivers, families, and relatives.

What triggers PD is unknown, but today's treatments provide temporary
 relief and become less and less effective over time. The good news is
 that scientists and research physicians agree that of all neurological
 disorders, Parkinsons is poised for a major breakthrough because there
 is a great deal of knowledge about the specific brain mechanism that
 is involved. Of course, progress is also controlled by funding, which
 is exactly what the Udall bill provides.  I should also point out that
 PD research funding is high leverage because breakthroughs will apply
 to Altzheimers and other neuro-disorders.

An upgrade in government support for a coordinated PD research is
 timely and has long-term economic and human resource benefits.  I
 understand that PD research is presently far less than for many other
 diseases.

Finally,  when I think of the care needed down the road and  resources
 of my caregivers and family, there is  the spector of ruin and
 dependency on the government.  This makes well funded PD research a
 win-win for all patients, their families, and communities.

I am asking  you to consider becoming a co-sponsor the Udall Bill asnd
 welcome your attention to this matter.  If this is not possible,I
 would welcome the opportunity to respond to any concerns I could
 research.  Thank you.

Dan Murray
Rochester